HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister Shop  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Wine in a can (Read 10517 times)
Jimmy

Aussie Wine Maker

Wine in a can
May 26th, 2004 at 12:05am

There is a winery here in Australia that has just brought out a premium range of wines in cans, the cans have a coating so the wine doesnt come in contact with metal.
Im a bit of a stickler when it come to wine and believe it should come in a bottle or cask it would be interesting to find out if anyone thinks this is a good idea and whether a: it would be successful and b: would they buy and drink it, i think the cans are about 350ml

Jimmy

IP Logged

Andrew
Forum Administrator

Dudley, West Midlands
Re: Wine in a can
Reply #1 - May 26th, 2004 at 8:05am

As long as the cans are coated, which they are, the wine should be perfectly safe. However, I have doubts that this will catch on.

Beer is sold in cans and sales are large, but cannot see the same people buying wine in cans.  Smiley. And the people that buy wine, I cannot see them buying cans.

Strange decision, but would like to see it do well.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register    
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW pages/Shop4homebrew/645514175465438  
IP Logged

Fermenting Tom
Forum Administrator

I'll 'ave anoter glarsh
!!

Quarry Bank
Reply #2 - May 26th, 2004 at 1:00pm

Most tinned  fruits, are in cans plastic coated on the inside, to stop the friut acid attacking the tinning, some manufacturers, just use clear passivated zinc plating on their tins, they MUST, be plastic coated, as it breaks down easier than tinning, which is a more expensive process. Shocked.
F.T.

Trustee/Director--Dudley C V S //  Hon. President--Parkinsons UK Dudley Branch //
Member-- Stourbridge Sons of Rest // MRAWF Wine Judge  // Member Coeliac U.K.-// Dudley Wine Circle .
WWW Fermenting Tom James T. Keys fermentingtom  
IP Logged

Paul_S
Ex Member

Harris Filters

Reply #3 - May 27th, 2004 at 12:17am

Wine bottles are 750 ml. The can would be half that-two glasses- about what I limit myself to. With the can you dont get cork tainting problems.  You lose some of the boquet should you drink directly from the can.  Paul S

IP Logged

George

Reply #4 - Jun 22nd, 2004 at 10:53pm

I mentioned this in another forum I follow and was told there has been wine in cans here in the UK for some time.  I've never seen them but it just seems wrong.  Smiley

Anyone tried them?

My first pint: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Fermenting Tom
Forum Administrator

I'll 'ave anoter glarsh
!!

Quarry Bank
Reply #5 - Jun 23rd, 2004 at 3:01pm

Not tried them, but seen them, see nothing wrong , it's progress, remember, beer used to be sold in bottles!!, you are buying it for the content, at the end of the day, it does'nt matter what the wrapping is, so long as the content is good. Wink. What about plastic bottles ?
F.T.
and I remember beer before cans ,50 yrs ago !!

Trustee/Director--Dudley C V S //  Hon. President--Parkinsons UK Dudley Branch //
Member-- Stourbridge Sons of Rest // MRAWF Wine Judge  // Member Coeliac U.K.-// Dudley Wine Circle .
WWW Fermenting Tom James T. Keys fermentingtom  
IP Logged

George

Reply #6 - Jun 23rd, 2004 at 4:30pm

I still buy most of my beer in bottles!  Not that I mind beer in tins.

I can't get my head around wine in a tin though.  I like the tradition of the bottle, removing the cork, the atmosphere of it all.  Plus I like the idea of natural products being used in the packaging so plastic coated tins don't do anything for me.  However I can see that it is probably all down to perception.

I don't think tinned wine will ever overtake bottled in the sales charts but who knows.  Knowing me I'll buy one next time I'm out to see what they're like!  Smiley
« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2004 at 4:33pm by George »  

My first pint: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

cris2per

Harris Filters

Reply #7 - Dec 17th, 2010 at 2:56pm

Hi cris here. New in this forum. Well for me that would be different, i mean unique. Wine in a can? Excellent idea! I think it'll be also safe to drink it even if it's not in the bottle or it depends on how the Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register is.

"Wine is not the only drink that can be aged for maturation. Many beers benefit from extended aging."

IP Logged

robon222

Harris Filters

Reply #8 - Jan 22nd, 2011 at 7:10am

hello.. i am new here and this is very interesting for me..keep on posting nice stuff thanks

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register | Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register | Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register | Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Manteur
Forum Moderator

The bear came back

Wimbledon
Reply #9 - Jan 22nd, 2011 at 8:38am

Hello and welcome to the forum robon222. Not quite sure how your post ended up where it did?  Angry Smiley

IP Logged

David
Forum Moderator

Bucks.
Reply #10 - Jan 23rd, 2011 at 11:56am

Manteur wrote on Jan 22nd, 2011 at 8:38am:
Hello and welcome to the forum robon222. Not quite sure how your post ended up where it did?  Angry Smiley

Posted by robot222 perhaps?

Googling robon222 throws up hundreds (thousands?) of similar posts, just one per forum, for example:

and

IP Logged

Manteur
Forum Moderator

The bear came back

Wimbledon
Reply #11 - Jan 23rd, 2011 at 1:08pm

Ah.

IP Logged

harveysmom

Harris Filters

Reply #12 - Jan 23rd, 2011 at 11:37pm

I'm not too up on IT stuff, what is the advantage of posting like this? Not the wine in a can bit, I mean the Robon222 post  Grin

IP Logged

David
Forum Moderator

Bucks.
Reply #13 - Jan 24th, 2011 at 8:06am

harveysmom wrote on Jan 23rd, 2011 at 11:37pm:
I'm not too up on IT stuff, what is the advantage of posting like this? Not the wine in a can bit, I mean the Robon222 post  Grin

It appears to be an attempt a spamming, and perhaps inserting a dodgy link, which isn't supposed to be possible in the first few posts, so more may follow.

IP Logged

Davie
Wine Expert

Work is for people who
don't know how to fish!

Scots Wha Hae........Inverness
Reply #14 - Feb 9th, 2011 at 8:52am

We get wine in plastic cartons so I see nothing wrong with tins.  Great for picnics (this is a function we Brits perform with great gusto, four times a year on Bank Holidays, come rain or shine!) or fishing expeditions! Grin Grin Grin

Like sand through your fingers, time slips away......

IP Logged

David
Forum Moderator

Bucks.
Reply #15 - Feb 9th, 2011 at 6:10pm

Davie wrote on Feb 9th, 2011 at 8:52am:
a function we Brits perform with great gusto, four times a year

Yes, whenever I get my quarterly mailing from Tesco Wine Club with vouchers for money off French/Spanish/ Australian/Whatever wine PLUS another for XXX points if you buy any wine, I go and buy one of those cheap, tiny tins of wine and make a tidy profit on it.

IP Logged

Davie
Wine Expert

Work is for people who
don't know how to fish!

Scots Wha Hae........Inverness
Reply #16 - Feb 9th, 2011 at 11:16pm

That reminds me!  I've not had my vouchers yet!  Has anybody else? Angry

Like sand through your fingers, time slips away......

IP Logged

Bobsbeer
God Member

I'll av an other!!!!

Kendal
Reply #17 - Mar 13th, 2011 at 9:14pm

How abouy a metal bottle?

I wonder how easy they will be to re cap?
Bob

Bob

Join The Home Brew Festival Sign up Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

ohbeary
Wine Expert

Drink problem?, I fall
over, s'not a problem!

Rosudgeon, Cornwall.
Reply #18 - Jun 4th, 2017 at 8:54pm

Crown Cork? Roll Eyes

Eat drink and be ZZZzzzzzz
IP Logged

steve
Ex Member

Harris Filters

Reply #19 - Jun 4th, 2017 at 11:50pm

Last time I was staying down at Praa Sands I started fishing again after a gap of some 20 years and made a point of putting some wine in my keep net to go with the picnic , metal cans would be good I think .

Steve

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print