Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Organic turbo cider (Read 1809 times)
scrotty

Harris Filters

Up North, UK
Organic turbo cider
Oct 2nd, 2016 at 10:36pm

I have 3 trees full of apples, a juicer and some yeast. As you can imagine the product is about to end up in a demijohn.

The only difference to the turbo cider recipes is the juice I'm producing is kind of thick. Almost smoothie in its consistency. A pure hydrometer reading of the juice puts it at 6% potential (I think) with no added sugar.

Should I water it down and add sugar to bring it back to the required % (maybe 5 or 6%) or ferment it as pure juice? How would each option influence the final product?

Its just an experiment with some free apples so theres no real risk I've just never noted a juicer being used in any of the recipes.

I only drink so I can feel the way I should feel when I'm sober.

IP Logged

ohbeary
Wine Expert

Drink problem?, I fall
over, s'not a problem!

Rosudgeon, Cornwall.
Re: Organic turbo cider
Reply #1 - Oct 2nd, 2016 at 11:10pm

Scrotty, Forget the juicer, you need to scrat the apples(crush/coarse mince) and press them for juice, check SG and ferment, you will have a 4-5% abv cider, you may need to add acid depending on what apple varieties you have? adding sugar will only result in a thin and over alcoholic brew. Wink

Eat drink and be ZZZzzzzzz
IP Logged

scrotty

Harris Filters

Up North, UK
Reply #2 - Oct 3rd, 2016 at 8:38am

I've just had a look at scratting apples on YouTube and I just don't have the equipment.

Just out of interest what is the problem with a juicer?

IP Logged

ohbeary
Wine Expert

Drink problem?, I fall
over, s'not a problem!

Rosudgeon, Cornwall.
Reply #3 - Oct 11th, 2016 at 7:43pm

A juicer gives you juice, scratting gives you whole fruit, a plaster mixer attachment with a hacksaw blade wired on will scrat your apples to pulp for fermentation on everything.

IP Logged

RockySpears

North East England
Reply #4 - Oct 18th, 2016 at 2:46pm

I just smashed mine with a 4" x 4" length of timber, up and down (use gloves).
  Remember to check that the container you smash them in has a smooth bottom that sits directly on the ground.  Last year I made the mistake of using a bucket that had a lip around the base so it stood about 5mm off the ground.  After a couple of minutes pounding there was juice all over the floor and a smashed bucket base, very messy.

I tried the plasterer thing on a drill but only got anywhere with it after I had pounded the fruit for a while.  I would have though a hacksaw blade rather brittle and very likely to slice up a bucket.

Got an 18L press this year, absolute god-send.

RS

Relaxed now.  Thinking of making Fizz, just to keep the adrenaline up.

IP Logged

scrotty

Harris Filters

Up North, UK
Reply #5 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 8:26pm

Thanks for all the advice and sorry for the late reply but life got in the way.

So kind of against all the advice I was given I've just put two good sized carrier bags full of apples through my juicer. The reason being I just had to get on and use the apples available or they would go to waste. It made about 6L maybe a bit more.

After juicing I left the product to settle until I ended up with three layers. Sediment in the bottom, a good layer of clear juice (about 3/4 of the total) and a load of foam at the top.

I've syphoned to good stuff and filtered it through muslin until I filled my demijohn. A quick hydrometer reading has it at 6% potential.

Just added the yeast and it seems like its doing its thing.

I realise the way I've done things will probably make the more experienced of you cringe but they were free apples and they would only spoil so there was nothing to lose. It also killed my juicer. Anyone thinking about using a juicer should know its horribly wasteful there was loads of juice in the pulp.

IP Logged

ohbeary
Wine Expert

Drink problem?, I fall
over, s'not a problem!

Rosudgeon, Cornwall.
Reply #6 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 10:23pm

Scrotty, You could have put the pulp into a coarse straining bag and left it to drip, send your juicer back to the manufacturer as it is clearly not up to the job(you did let it cool down between batches didn't you! Wink).... Roll Eyes
I think Rocky has the right idea, "mash and press" but you have done nothing wrong, the apples were free and you did what you could with them even though you destroyed an expensive piece of "domestic" kit!... ah well, I took our Kenwood mixer to use at a job I had, left the fecking thing there when I left... so we are both "one down" and I am often reminded! of the loss.  Wink Grin Grin

IP Logged

Manteur
Forum Moderator

The bear came back

Wimbledon
Reply #7 - Oct 22nd, 2016 at 7:44am

I often used to make juice for 1 gallon apple wine by liquidising the apples with a blitz stick and jelly bagging the result. It worked very well, producing a clear juice and a solid pellet. I wouldn't want to do more than a gallon this way without industrialising the equipment though.  Wink

IP Logged

scrotty

Harris Filters

Up North, UK
Reply #8 - Oct 25th, 2016 at 6:27pm

I can't believe how much more active the juice is during fermentation than my experiments with shop bought juice.

I understand the home produced juice has a potential of 6% vs the shop bought stuff at 4.5% but the difference is huge. The airlock is more active than anything else I've ever fermented including the wine kits I buy.

Just out of interest is the amount of gas produced just a result of the amount of sugar in the juice or is it a reflection of the organic material suspended in the solution?

IP Logged

ohbeary
Wine Expert

Drink problem?, I fall
over, s'not a problem!

Rosudgeon, Cornwall.
Reply #9 - Oct 30th, 2016 at 9:53pm

Scrotty, I think the activity is down to the mineral content and unpasteurised fruit juice, 6% would be about right for well ripened fruit if you picked them late in a good season, it really does depend on the variety for sugar content, riper means less acid and more sugar, measuring "SG" needs a filtered juice with no pulp to be accurate, you could test for acid with various kits but a taste works well, sweet and sharp is a good guide, if it makes you wince! a good dry cider is what you will get, don't be tempted to add sugar to sharp juice, it's just high in acid but not necessarily low in sugar. Wink

IP Logged

scrotty

Harris Filters

Up North, UK
Reply #10 - Oct 31st, 2016 at 10:35pm

As always thanks ohbeary I think I'm starting to get my head around "how to" I'm just trying to understand "why".

My fruit was a good mix of good tasting apples ripe and ready and those a bit smaller and a little tart for eating. A mix of 4 trees each at least 30 years old.

The juice produced was good tasting, quite strong with a real tingle at the back of the throat ( I think I remember there's a name for this).

Anyway I'm just having fun with a load of free apples so lets see where it takes me. My friend and I are building a press because it seems the season isn't over and I have access to a load more apples over the next week or so.

Might try a blend of shop bought and organic homepressed .

Just out of interest does anyone have a recipe for a xmas/mulled/seasonal cider?

Last thing, with my organic cider how long should I be able to store it for and under what conditions???

Cheers

IP Logged

ohbeary
Wine Expert

Drink problem?, I fall
over, s'not a problem!

Rosudgeon, Cornwall.
Reply #11 - Nov 6th, 2016 at 12:50am

scrotty, Good cider is like wine, if made properly with sufficient body and abv it will keep for years even if it is still, sparkling is the same just keep it cool and dark and it gets better.
If you have free organic apples why would you buy shop juice? Huh

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print