Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Click here to order your supplies at www.shop4homebrew.co.uk

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister Shop  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Where did everyone go??? (Read 1279 times)
justin9

Nottingham
Re: Where did everyone go???
Reply #20 - Jun 9th, 2017 at 11:29pm

It does seem that these kind of forums have been put on the back burner by some, probably due to the demands of every day life, which is  a shame as this has been such an invaluable website over the last 8 or so years for me.

I was looking on the forum at wines at home and its the same story, not many posts over the last couple of years compared to before.  I've joined a couple of pages on Facebook but its nowhere near the standard of advice that you get on here nor is it the same kind of friendly banter.

Ah well it comes to something when you start feeling nostalgic over how the internet use to be in the' good old days'
Cheesy Cheesy

I think you've had enough, you're starting to look stunning.

IP Logged

Manteur
Forum Moderator

The bear came back

Wimbledon
Reply #21 - Jun 10th, 2017 at 9:56am

justin9 wrote on Jun 9th, 2017 at 11:29pm:
Ah well it comes to something when you start feeling nostalgic over how the internet use to be in the' good old days'
Cheesy Cheesy

True, I can hardly believe it, but I remember the sense of awe I felt when I first encountered an electronic calculator. I mean, nostalgia's OK but to be honest, the Good Old Days were actually a bit rubbish.

IP Logged

vino-tinto

I Love Beer

Norfolk
Reply #22 - Jun 10th, 2017 at 1:25pm

I remember when I had a Sinclair and every week in the Sinclair mag I would copy the coding into the computer.
After doing this for several weeks, I would finally run it.
It was great to see a matchstick man run across the screen from coding I had input.

But as you do, I upgraded to a Commodore 64 and then to a BBC Basic and onto an Intel running Windows 3.1, and now look where we are today.   Shocked

Grainfather System
Retired Electro Mechanical Engineer

IP Logged

Fermenting Tom
Forum Administrator

I'll 'ave anoter glarsh
!!

Quarry Bank
Where did everyone go???
Reply #23 - Jun 10th, 2017 at 2:12pm

More affluent younger generation, "no time to stop and stare",
or be creative in relation to home brewing, sooner spend £10
on a bottle of supermarket wine, or eat out losing culinary skills also, shame, but like fashion -- it will come back for another spell.
Wink Wink
F.T.

Trustee/Board--Dudley C V S = Hon. President--Parkinsons UK Dudley Branch =,
Chairman-- Stourbridge Sons of Rest = MRAWF Wine Judge =  Mary Stevens Bowls Club = Member Coeliac U.K.= Dudley WC = PMWBC
WWW Fermenting Tom James T.Keys fermentingtom  
IP Logged

sampvt

Hi Everyone

Leeds
Reply #24 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 10:47am

I think Ive got the best excuse, lol. 3 months ago I was diagnosed with Lymph node cancer which metastasized into full blown brain cancer. Ive been in hospital to have all my Lymph nodes removing and a separate visit for brain surgery. But alas the tumour is now a stage 4 blastoma an Im laid up at home now waiting for god or a miracle cure, but i did manage to finish off 8 x 23 liter kits before I went in.

Ive now got 167 bottles of white racked and aging, 45 bottles of red doing the same and 9 x gallon demijons waiting to be bottled but ive run out of plain screw top bottles. The ebay sources are daft prices, around £1 per bottle cheapest.

My missus will be left well provided for as will my kids in terms of booze and once im gone, she gets the booze, a large selection of spirits, a big insurance payout and tinders address. Dont worry ill keep an eye on her from afar so she doesent give my prize wines away, lol.

New to all of this

IP Logged

Manteur
Forum Moderator

The bear came back

Wimbledon
Reply #25 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 7:36pm

sampvt wrote on Jun 21st, 2017 at 10:47am:
I think Ive got the best excuse, lol. 3 months ago I was diagnosed with Lymph node cancer which metastasized into full blown brain cancer. Ive been in hospital to have all my Lymph nodes removing and a separate visit for brain surgery. But alas the tumour is now a stage 4 blastoma an Im laid up at home now waiting for god or a miracle cure, but i did manage to finish off 8 x 23 liter kits before I went in.

Ive now got 167 bottles of white racked and aging, 45 bottles of red doing the same and 9 x gallon demijons waiting to be bottled but ive run out of plain screw top bottles. The ebay sources are daft prices, around £1 per bottle cheapest.

My missus will be left well provided for as will my kids in terms of booze and once im gone, she gets the booze, a large selection of spirits, a big insurance payout and tinders address. Dont worry ill keep an eye on her from afar so she doesent give my prize wines away, lol.

Very sorry to hear your news. Keep on posting man. You'll always have an audience here that appreciate your contributions.

IP Logged

sampvt

Hi Everyone

Leeds
Reply #26 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 9:24pm

Ive actually got a bit of a weird one as it happens. I did 4 whitye kits 2 months ago. conniseur pinot and sav blanc. when they were done I didnt have enough bottles so I demijoned them all. Shortly after that they found my lymphnodes were infected with cancer so i was taken in and they removed all of them from under my right arm. This week is the first week \ive found myself fit enough to bottle. My wife says the pinot is ok but all the sav blanc tastes a bit sour.

The room the demis were stored in were at house temp and although the sun didnt shine directly on the demijons, there was light in the room all the time.

Any suggestions as all the demijons were on the same shelves, so why is the pinot ok and sav blanc not

New to all of this

IP Logged

ohbeary
Wine Expert

Drink problem?, I fall
over, s'not a problem!

Rosudgeon, Cornwall.
Reply #27 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 10:05pm

Sam, Sauvignon Blanc can be a bit sour at the best of times, it just needs more time to mature and you'd better stick around so I can say "I told you so". Wink

Eat drink and be ZZZzzzzzz
IP Logged

Richard G
Forum Moderator

Rock on people SSDD

Wolverhampton
Reply #28 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 11:48pm

Angry So sorry to hear your news   samp.. My brother has also been diagnosed with the same ,  but unfortunately I now have to see a surgeon about having surgery for my colitis.

Happy days or what??? Cheesy
« Last Edit: Jun 22nd, 2017 at 6:53pm by Richard G »  

The doctor told me not to drink alcohol so I went to the local pub for a pint

IP Logged

Richard G
Forum Moderator

Rock on people SSDD

Wolverhampton
Reply #29 - Jun 22nd, 2017 at 6:54pm

Grin Text amended Manny mis-read your post Embarrassed

The doctor told me not to drink alcohol so I went to the local pub for a pint

IP Logged

Dexter

Tally-Ho!

Belfast
Reply #30 - Aug 7th, 2017 at 2:39am

In ironic keeping with the subject of this thread I've just logged in after a few weeks hiatus. Terribly sad at what I've just read Sampvt. Always enjoy your extensive threads  Smiley
If I was religious I'd say a prayer, but I'm ain't, so I'll just hope for that miracle cure of yours buddy. Take care.

IP Logged

steve

Harris Filters

Virgin, Eastleigh,Southampton
Reply #31 - Aug 7th, 2017 at 4:57pm

My tuppence-worth - I look at this forum at least three times a day , just to see whats going on . A few months ago I noticed that between a third and a half of all messages were mine , some reporting in , some daft questions , some commenting on others . I havn't done much lately as combined gardening frenzies ( Her Indoors ) and clearing 40 years-worth of stuff from our loft , have diverted me from the winemaking . But not for long .
  PS - I recently tried freeze-distillation of a bottle of apricot I made a while ago , it produced 25 ml of something much stronger ( not sure what to call it ) and my wife likes it which is a result . Did it with a second bottle too .
  Will Brexit have any effect on available ingredients ? If so then I shall be going back to picking my own fruit and berries for "country " wines .

IP Logged

steve

Harris Filters

Reply #32 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 6:48am

Re the freeze-distillation , just realised whilst drinking my morning tea , I mean 0.25l , not 25 ml .

IP Logged

ohbeary
Wine Expert

Drink problem?, I fall
over, s'not a problem!

Rosudgeon, Cornwall.
Reply #33 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 10:57pm

Steve, You don't get much, I reduced 10 litres to 375ml in stages @ -20C freezing and straining etc, nice but possibly lethal. Roll Eyes
An Airstill might be more sensible for proper spirit production but I don't trust myself.... Wink Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Dexter

Tally-Ho!

Belfast
Reply #34 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 1:08am

I realise we're skewing this thread off on a bit of a tangent, but this has pricked my ears up. I'd not heard of freeze distillation (or freeze concentration) before, and so went and did a bit of looking around. 
I'm a cider lover and have just discovered a couple of tutorials for Applejack, and like the sinner who finds the Lord I do believe I have discovered my calling. I'm more excited than the Chrisrmas Eve when I lay in the dark eyes wide open waiting for my first 'big bike'.
I thank you Sreve for pointing me to the light.

P.S Any tips will be gratefully received.

PPS, Has anyone heard how Sam's doing?

IP Logged

steve

Harris Filters

Reply #35 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 10:29am

Dextero - I also only discovered freeze distillation after reading something on this forum , cant remember where it was or by whom ( you know who you are ..) , however as with the greatest leaps forward in science , by coincidence around the same time I met an an old acquaintance , the subject of winemaking came up and he mentioned that a friend had done this but with no details .
  My method was thus ; I chose a bottle of my apricot wine which was less than best , slightly oxidised I think , more like a sherry but too good to dump . I transferred into an empty plastic tonic bottle with cap slightly loose , stood it in the chest freezer upright , and left it for about 36 hours .
When frozen solid , I removed the cap , stood it upside down in a jug , and let the alchoholic content drip down into the jug . I kept an eye on it , and after the initial dripping , I poured this small amount off . The remaining ice which would have had a much greater water content , remained frozen for much longer , the trick seems to be to decide when that " watery slush " is starting to melt and remove the stronger alco part before the water begins to catch up with it .
Its simply about the fact that alcohol takes much lower temperatures to freeze than water , so the water content freezes more readily .

I also tried this a second time with another bottle of apricot ,same MO but then I also re-froze the watery slush a second time ,  the other test , though I havn't tried it , would be to re-freeze the first more-alcoholic part and see if it produces more ice , in which case you could do it again .  I seem to remember another member mentioning this as well .
Steve

IP Logged

Dexter

Tally-Ho!

Belfast
Reply #36 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 9:53pm

Yes Steve, from various tutorials I've watched you've got it spot on about the 'slush'. General consensus seems to be an overnight freeze cycle ao it's slushy but nit frozen solid, drain the liquid from the slush, and then refreeze and repeat maybe 2 or 3 times to preference (or until the liquor is not producing much ice).
I can't wait!!  Cheesy

IP Logged

ohbeary
Wine Expert

Drink problem?, I fall
over, s'not a problem!

Rosudgeon, Cornwall.
Reply #37 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 10:05pm

Best bet, is freeze, drip and refreeze as above, eventually you get a liquid with a few ice flakes, strain them out and put the "hooch" away for a good while, only use in moderate amounts as it can cause rather concentrated hangovers. Wink

IP Logged

Dexter

Tally-Ho!

Belfast
Reply #38 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 12:06am

ohbeary wrote on Aug 9th, 2017 at 10:05pm:
only use in moderate amounts as it can cause rather concentrated hangovers. Wink

Lmao  Grin Grin Grin Grin   Thanks for the advice OB
It has all the aroma of a man who has first-hand experience of such horror. Images of a pale grey OB lying atop the duvet of a Sunday morning, face awrinkle and distorted like an executed POW, forehead adorned with a damp flannel, breathing laboured and erratic .... "Water........... water......." he whispers meekly as the missus cruelly whips open the curtains exposing the tortuous light of day and slaps him round the head with a defrosted trout.

IP Logged

Captain Reech

Derby
Reply #39 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 6:45am

Personally I got busy doing other things (work pressure) and forgot how important it was to relax (Allotment and brewing suffered). Looking at this years bumper crops of fruit reminded me to stop the waste and get a brew on. Cider production begins this weekend!

I didn't "Blow it up" I "Modified the way it works" OK?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print