Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Click here to order your supplies at www.shop4homebrew.co.uk

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister Shop  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trying to salvage ethanol. (Read 80 times)
DeliriumTremens
God Member

Pop!

Liverpool
Trying to salvage ethanol.
May 20th, 2017 at 12:49pm

With myself  being a hoarder magpie,

And having space, containers, drums, in excess, I have hardly ever binned/sinked/chucked a finished undertaking I was not happy with (Of which to name a few would be prune, elderflower, elderberry, rice'n'raison, still fruit ciders I could go on).

So after a quick recon in shed no3 I had a plan to evenually rid myself of this 'waste'. I thought am gonna distill this lot.

I ended up with 5 Gallons of 56% abv spirit that has an eyewatering 'nail polish remover' scent. I know these are called congeners.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

After double distilling its still there and makes you not want to consume it. I did though it tastes of Brandy not what I want, some may, and its a perfectly clear liquid.. but the aroma is far more off putting.

Ive tried the Bicarbonate of soda remedies of which there are many, but to no avails.

Using the power of google I inserted 'polish' + 'neutral' and 'spirit'. and came up with the following page.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

So as a test I have 4Lts of 38% spirit sitting on a cup of activated charcoal.(Taken from a water filter cartridge Home and Bargain 0.79p.)
See pic.

And a further test of a mason jar of the same spirit sitting on a handfull of cherrywood pieces to keep the congeners and produce a Bourbon?

I'll keep you posted .

Wine improves with age.
The older I get, the better I like it.
https://www.facebook.com/Orb.In.Space  
IP Logged

DeliriumTremens
God Member

Pop!

Liverpool
Re: Trying to salvage ethanol.
Reply #1 - Jun 9th, 2017 at 11:05am

Ok after 3 weeks the activated carbon has almost completely removed the aroma's in the dj, after a quick filter through a brita jug the product was slightly silvery/grey .

I ran it through a funnel with cotton wool in and it became perfectly clear. It will make a great neutral and or vodka.

Not as nice as my 'wheat bran' vodka but its a good result.

I am Happy  Smiley   

The cherry wood test still smells of Brandy, but now it looks like it.  Cool

Wine improves with age.
The older I get, the better I like it.
https://www.facebook.com/Orb.In.Space  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print