Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Click here to order your supplies at www.shop4homebrew.co.uk

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister Shop  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My Mushroom and Marmite wine! (Read 185 times)
jamesg

Life is too short not
to drink cheap wine!

Eday, Orkney
My Mushroom and Marmite wine!
Jun 4th, 2018 at 8:59am

Recently, I have started to play around with a few experemantal wine recipes, seaweed wine is bubbeling along nicely and now I am in the throws of making mushroom and marmite wine. 

A week into the fermentation, and I have to say that I am impressed with the initial vigor and taste of this wine.  Why mushroom?  Maybe because I like to break the mould!

Anyway - the recipe as promised...

Ingredients:
  • 1kg Button Mushrooms
    1kg Demerara Sugar
    400g Granulate Sugar
    Water to  1 gallon
    Marmite (a tablespoon)
    Yeast (a teaspoon)

Method:
​Fry ‘shrooms until they become a juicy gloopy foreboding mush of dark matter.  Don’t worry about the colour, the wine will clear to a clear straw hue with a brilliant sheen.

​Dollop your mushrooms into your primary fermentation vessel (sounds posh for a bucket!), along with the 1.4kg of sugar, customary cup of strong tea and a good tablespoon of marmite.  The marmite adds a depth of flavour that sits just behind the mushrooms on the palate. The marmite in the wine also gives the yeast a boost of nutrition to help it start fermenting.  Not a fan of Marmite? It does loose its unique flavour in the wine, and you could add a traditional yeast nutrient (But you are making a very unusual mushroom wine, be brave and experiment!)

Pour one gallon of boiling water into your fermenting bucket and stir your sweet, mushroom and marmite concoction until all the sugar has dissolved.  Allow to cool, and if you wish, take a hydrometer reading which should be in the region of 1.09, which will give a finished abv of 12.5%.

Pitch in your yeast, I am using a generic wine yeast  - I can faff around with different yeast styles in future batches of mushroom wine. 

Set your covered primary fermenting bucket to one side for three days, stirring daily.  After 3 days, strain the liquid through a sieve or cheesecloth into a demijohn, and ferment till dry.

And a quick video of the process Smiley

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Manteur
Forum Moderator

The bear came back

Wimbledon
Re: My Mushroom and Marmite wine!
Reply #1 - Jun 8th, 2018 at 9:31am

Great video James. I really love your creativity. If I may make a few suggestions?

I would include a bentonite treatment before adding the yeast. I always do. It speeds up clearing and heads off any of those clearing problems that folk complain about.

I greatly approve of your measuring and adjusting the sugar mid process, but I think that using a refractometer and working by weight rather than volume is easier once you get used to it. Just a personal preference.

I'm sure you don't need me to point out that a smaller tub would better suit the volume you're doing. N.B. In a 10L tub, an initial 5.5L usually makes just enough for 1 DJ after wastage and shrinkage, thus avoiding all that nasty topping up business.

Do let us know how this one works out. I'm fascinated. Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print