Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Click here to order your supplies at www.shop4homebrew.co.uk

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister Shop  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Topping up after racking (Read 216 times)
Jintie

Harris Filters

Campden Westminster Croydon
Topping up after racking
Jun 18th, 2018 at 2:25pm

I have a few wines fermenting in DJ's.  One is apricot which will produce a lot of sediment from the pulp.  When I rack it (when the time comes) they're likely to need a lot of topping up.  In order to prevent adding sugar syrup/water or whatever, I've filled a wine bottle with spare mixture to top up with.  Can I actually do this?  Will it affect the wine in the DJ?  Would it be better to put it in a smaller bottle with an air-lock, ferment out and use to top up or is it safe to do the former (given it's hard to find small bottles with a wide enough neck for the bung)?

Any words of wisdom will be appreciated  Smiley

IP Logged

ohbeary
Wine Expert

Drink problem?, I fall
over, s'not a problem!

Rosudgeon, Cornwall.
Re: Topping up after racking
Reply #1 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 10:58pm

Jintie, having some spare mixture is a good idea, I assume it has no yeast in it and as such it could go off/mouldy, a little yeast will help it keep up with the main batch, just cover the neck with a piece of cling film or plug with cotton wool to keep the critters out. Wink

Eat drink and be ZZZzzzzzz
IP Logged

Jintie

Harris Filters

Reply #2 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 11:11am

It does have yeast in it, it's the same mixture as that I put in the demijohn and is currently in the fridge.  I guess I should have strained some off before adding yeasts, nutrients etc......but wouldn't this still go off?

So am I correct in thinking that I'd have been better putting it in a smaller bottle with an air-lock, fermenting out and using that to top up.

Would I be better just throwing the spare away?

For anyone interested, I've found that  bbc marinade bottles (Co-Op, Paul Newman etc) have a wide neck that fit a bung and air-lockable are handy to ferment liquid to top up with after racking

IP Logged

ohbeary
Wine Expert

Drink problem?, I fall
over, s'not a problem!

Rosudgeon, Cornwall.
Reply #3 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 9:47pm

J, keep the spare mixture but bring it out of the fridge covered as suggested it will ferment and you won't be adding a sugar solution to your wine when you top up. Wink

IP Logged

Jintie

Harris Filters

Reply #4 - Jun 20th, 2018 at 1:26am

Will do.  Didn't know I could do that without an air lock fitted.  So much to learn.  Thank You

IP Logged

ohbeary
Wine Expert

Drink problem?, I fall
over, s'not a problem!

Rosudgeon, Cornwall.
Reply #5 - Jun 20th, 2018 at 3:26pm

The idea of an airlock is mainly to keep unwanted visitors from falling into the wine and later to keep oxygen away during anaerobic fermentation. Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print