Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Click here to order your supplies at www.shop4homebrew.co.uk

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister Shop  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Running T500 As A Potstill - Taking Out Packing (Read 189 times)
Aneray

SW Cornwall
Running T500 As A Potstill - Taking Out Packing
Oct 7th, 2018 at 9:32pm

Has anybody in the group actually done this and ended up with a decent end product.  I've seen the question asked many times over the internet but not many comprehensive answers. 

Was looking at the screw on Gin basket for the column last night on the Love Brewing website.  The instructions from Still Spirits mentioned removing all the packing for maximum flavour.  The thing is, that's all it mentions, no temperature guidelines, nothing.

I was thinking about buying or making a pot still attachment for the T500 but if the column can be run sucessfully without the packing, what's the point.

IP Logged

vino-tinto
Global Moderator

I Love Beer

Norfolk
Re: Running T500 As A Potstill - Taking Out Packing
Reply #1 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 8:40am

In the early days of the T500 it was given the thumbs down because several people ruined the black plastic top cap because it distorted due to the intense heat, the very first T500 also had a thermo probe fitted in that cap as well, since then it's become a NO with most using home made versions.

As long as you are aware this distortion could happen, I suppose it's a case of "User beware".

It's hard to be exact as far as guidelines, I think I would run the T500 at full bore with enough water flow to condense the vapour and then ignore the temp flow control.
You should see a stable temp until the end when as the alcohol content decreases the water temp will increase.

Please understand, what I suggest is not based on practise. only an assumption. I have never used the column as a pot still, and have seen what hot vapour does to plastic.

VT

Retired Electro Mechanical Engineer

IP Logged

Aneray

SW Cornwall
Reply #2 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 10:14pm

Thanks for the input VT.

To be honest, I don't think I really want to chance melting the plastic top.  I'm producing some real good neutral now, I'd hate to wreck it and end up without a working machine.

Looks like I will continue with my Airstill for flavoured spirits until I find a pot still attachment for the T500 boiler..

IP Logged

DeliriumTremens
God Member

Cheers!

Liverpool
Reply #3 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 11:19pm

Cheap Gin Pots are available..

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Wine improves with age.
The older I get, the better I like it.
https://www.facebook.com/Orb.In.Space  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print