Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What Next and When?!? (Read 254 times)
Rozzidrozzi

Harris Filters

Lairg, Highlands, Scotland
What Next and When?!?
Oct 11th, 2018 at 2:36pm

Hi Folks and firstly, thank you for accepting me as a Forum member. Like most folk who join I am new to Brewing and have embarked on a bit of Cider making.

I have made a 25ltr barrel with pure Bramley Apples,† 1 x sachet of Cider Yeast and 1250g of sugar, its been fermenting at around 21 degrees for about 10 days and is gently fizzing on top (i take it thatís the normal fermentation) its not a rapid release of bubbles via the airlock but steady.

I have also crushed and pressed a heap of Crab apples and a variety i can't identify (reddish stipes on yellow with a pink flesh) and combined them to make three 5 lrt containers with again Cider yeast and 250g of sugar these have only just been done.

My question is what do i do next and when? I am assuming that i do nothing until fermentation has finished? Do i then stir/shake them, do I bottle with added sugar, do i add Campden tablets?

Apologies for all the questions but us annoying Newbies have to start somewhere!

IP Logged

ohbeary
Wine Expert

Drink problem?, I fall
over, s'not a problem!

Rosudgeon, Cornwall.
Re: What Next and When?!?
Reply #1 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 10:18pm

Rozzi, When fermentation has ceased allow the ciders to settle out and clear, when you can see the bottom of the brew rack off carefully avoiding any sediment(vessels with taps make this a lot easier) they will still be "live"  and can be bulk primed or not before bottling, if bulk priming only use 1/4 - 1/2 tsp sugar per litre this will avoid madly foaming bottles when opening.

Tom suggests using around 5% crabs, 10% eaters in the mix, there is nothing to prevent you blending the crab cider with the Bramley cider or even carefully adding Polish fruit syrups or citrus zest for a different flavour, the possibilities are endless so go mad with it and have fun.(please drink responsibly, lie down or sit comfortably at all times) Grin Grin Grin Wink

Eat drink and be ZZZzzzzzz
IP Logged

Rozzidrozzi

Harris Filters

Lairg, Highlands, Scotland
Reply #2 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 9:43am

Thanks ohBeary,

I read somewhere that you can test to see if fermentation has finished by checking the SG. I have a Hydrometer so could do that I guess although no idea what gravity I'm looking for to be honest. What do Campden tablets do?
« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2018 at 9:43am by Rozzidrozzi »  

IP Logged

RockySpears

North East England
Reply #3 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 3:05pm

† Avoid the temptation to test everything, every time, you just give bugs a chance to step in.
Fermentation has stopped when the airlock is still, but wait for the cider to clear all by itself, for the most part, by clear we mean that you can read a newspaper through a glass demi-john.
† If you can have the bucket/DJs on a table while it clears then you will not need to disturb it when you rack.† This will obviously depend on your space/set up.
† An extra pair of hands while racking is always a blessing so that you can concentrate on gently tilting the vessel without worrying about the down stream end.† Always have spare, clean bottles handy to save any panic near the end.† I also have a tap in my siphon so the wife does not panic and can stop the flow while I just hold things still.

SG of 0.995 is considered finished (for most any ferment), but you can go lower with really high alcohol content, for ciders, anything below 1.000 is good.

If using them at the end, Campden Tablets will kill any and all yeasts and other living organisms in the liquid, so if you are wanting to add sugar to your bottles to give a fizz when opened do not use them.
  I never do it personally, but check before priming a whole batch, that there are still live yeast that will ferment the added sugar, just do 1 bottle and see if it starts to fizz after a few days.  As long as you keep racked cider/wine in an airlocked vessel, it will wait until you are ready,

RS
« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2018 at 3:12pm by RockySpears »  

Relaxed now.  Thinking of making Fizz, just to keep the adrenaline up.

IP Logged

ohbeary
Wine Expert

Drink problem?, I fall
over, s'not a problem!

Rosudgeon, Cornwall.
Reply #4 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 10:12pm

With apologies to Rocky, Campden tablets will not kill yeast, they will stun the yeast and so disable weak wild yeasts that added good yeast cultures will multiply and take over, there are some cultivated yeasts known as "killer yeasts" and their numbers usually begin "K" or "KV".

Otherwise I agree with m' colleague apart from the racking method, I prefer to rack the whole lot into a clean vessel of the same size, allow to settle for a week and rack again so that I can draw off clean wine/cider without any risk of sediment.  Wink

Eat drink and be ZZZzzzzzz
IP Logged

RockySpears

North East England
Reply #5 - Oct 13th, 2018 at 6:55pm

Cheers OB, my bad.  My assumption being that yeast death was a given with CT.  I personally hate racking/bottling so I guess I have just devised ways of doing as little as possible.  I am prepared to loose 250ml - 500ml to get it over with,

RS

Relaxed now.  Thinking of making Fizz, just to keep the adrenaline up.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print