Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bottling (Read 218 times)
DavidAitken

Harris Filters

Scotland
Bottling
Oct 12th, 2018 at 3:57pm

I normally leave most of my wines for about 6 months before bottling.  But I'm keen to make more, and make more use out of the 3 x 25lt fermentation container that I use. Is it safe to bottle any wine once its stopped bubbling thru the airlock ?

An out of interest, what goes on the the wine once the 2nd fementation has finished, but the wine is still developing ?

IP Logged

ohbeary
Wine Expert

Drink problem?, I fall
over, s'not a problem!

Rosudgeon, Cornwall.
Re: Bottling
Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 10:39pm

David, Wine must be totally clear and completely stable before bottling otherwise sediments drop out and sometimes bottles explode, so clearing and stabilising are a must for early bottling.

As for what happens to the wine various chemical reactions take place, the phenols and tannins soften and acids mellow, sometimes a wine that is drinkable after a few months can taste vile months later only to develop into a wonderful wine in a year or two and something bottled as a last resort rather than dumping it can surprise you later. Wink

Eat drink and be ZZZzzzzzz
IP Logged

RockySpears

North East England
Reply #2 - Oct 15th, 2018 at 10:01am

Once the first ferment is over, I rack everything to 5L water bottles with airlocks added to the lids.  I leave these in a dark place in the garage for up to 6 months, checking occasionally that there is still water in the airlock.  I then rack into 5L water bottles with normal lids and store those away.
  The 5L bottles cost 1.10 a go at Tesco (other stores available) and you get 5L free water with them, which I usually just dump on the garden.
  A 25 L bucket costs about 13 and 5 x 5L bottles + airlocks is about the same, but the 5L are easier to handle and store.  I go round my older bottles and press the neck gently to see if any CO2 is coming out or any extra ferment has occurred, just in case.
I think it is often advised to keep stored wine in bulk and the 5L does the job nicely.
  I have about 20 or so and often use them as DJs for initial fermentation too, you just have to tap the sides a bit to get the sediment off the ledges around the bottle.

RS

Relaxed now.  Thinking of making Fizz, just to keep the adrenaline up.

IP Logged

DavidAitken

Harris Filters

Scotland
Reply #3 - Oct 18th, 2018 at 5:01pm

Thanks for the advice and tips
« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2018 at 5:02pm by DavidAitken »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print