Send Topic Print
What wash can I use? (Read 155 times)
A1Smiley

Harris Filters

BT UK
What wash can I use?
Jul 9th, 2019 at 1:51pm

Hi,

I've a Still Airstill and been using it for over a year, but only usedStill Spirits Pure (Triple Distilled) Turbo System (Turbo Clear/Carbon/Yeast)

I've seen other kits on the market for making the wash.  I'm not technical, so please be kind to me.  When I distill my wash, the alcohol comes out at between 50% to 54% and never ever higher.  This is before adding water.

I'd like to try a different wash to see if I get a better alcohol percentage. Please can someone advise/explain which ones to try, how to clean and how much alcohol to come from a 25l wash.

Also, I don't know if it was on here or another forum, but someone said he . draws off 1500ml instead of 800ml. Can this be true or BS?

And, I put the wash through the still once as directed by my local shop, but I notice some of yous put it through 2 - 3 times to get a higher alc.  Is this true and don't you end up with less liquid?

IP Logged

ohbeary
Wine Expert

Drink problem?, I fall
over, s'not a problem!

Rosudgeon, Cornwall.
Re: What wash can I use?
Reply #1 - Jul 9th, 2019 at 11:50pm

Smiley, or may I call you A1, I'm not a distiller, just a chef, there are many ways to cook a goose! you could use EC118/Champagne yeast to ferment your wash, it will not be as fast as turbo yeast but cleaner, I would still add the liquid charcoal for cleanup of undesirable elements and a two part finings for clearing; stick to 800ml, dilute to 40% and distill again for purity, a second dilution to 40% and a third distillation and dilution for a really clean product, 40% for adding flavours or 60% for preserving fruits i.e. Rumtopf, if making Limoncello you would need 80 to 90% abv as lemons have a lot of water. Wink

1500ml!!! total Moo Crap! unless you really want a guide dog! the reason for discarding the first and last runs of alcohol are that they will make you blind, they are toxic! the lower and higher alcohols known as "heads" & "tails" are more poisonous than the ones we like, even when we keep to the basic rule distilled spirit should be left open over night to allow the remaining higher alcohols (angels share) to dissipate. Wink
PS, apologies for being long winded. Smiley

Eat drink and be ZZZzzzzzz
IP Logged

Andrew
Forum Administrator

Dudley, West Midlands
Re: What wash can I use?
Reply #2 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 10:05am

The Air Still is a pot still, which will carry over any flavour in the wash to the final spirit. Therefore to make a neutral alcohol, you need a wash that has hardly any taste. The Pure yeast with carbon will produce a neutral wash with very little off-flavours. This is the one we recommend for the Airstill as it also produces constant results. Another good yeast is Vodkastar.

The way the Air Still works is that the contents are continually heated up until they eventually boil, and all the vapours are condensed back into liquid. Given enough time, the entire contents will be distilled to another container, with exactly the same alcohol as went in. The trick is to only collect the alcohol that comes off before water. The manufacturers method is to collect 800ml maximum before switching the machine off. This should produce approx. 55% abv from a 14% abv wash.  If you collect 700ml, you should get approx 60% abv. If you collect more than 800ml, then you are adding more water to the spirit so the % alcohol will reduce. At 1.5 litres, you are looking at approx 20% abv, which is ideal for liqueurs.

Some people do a double or triple distil. This requires the stripping run to be completed before collecting the final spirit. This involves more work, but the results are greatly increased producing a more neutral and clean spirit. The more times you distil, the stronger the spirit but the less you collect.

There is a guide on double distilling under the locked topic "How Best to use an Airstill" if you are interested, well worth a read.

Without double distilling, it will be hard to produce any higher alcohol above 60% with the Airstill, even if you have a stronger wash, it is the design of the still itself.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register    
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW pages/Shop4homebrew/645514175465438  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print