Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Click here to order your supplies at www.darkrockbrewing.co.uk

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister Shop  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Adding a fruity red to my latest rhubarb ? (Read 79 times)
steve

Harris Filters

Southampton
Adding a fruity red to my latest rhubarb ?
Sep 20th, 2019 at 11:19pm

My latest rhubarb ( 22 litres ) is nearing completion . We are drinking our way through the previous batch and are pleased that it's medium dry instead of too sweet as in the past . However this is also going to be too dry to really enjoy - so I was wondering whether I could get away with adding a decent really fruity red ( or white ) to the bulk just before bottling , but can anybody recommend a really nice fruity off the shelf wine for this purpose ? .
Steve

IP Logged

ohbeary
Wine Expert

Drink problem?, I fall
over, s'not a problem!

Rosudgeon, Cornwall.
Re: Adding a fruity red to my latest rhubarb ?
Reply #1 - Sep 22nd, 2019 at 11:03pm

Steve, If your Rhubarb wine is too dry, make sure to stabilise it then add red grape concentrate to taste, this will certainly sweeten it a little whilst adding body; rhubarb can seem too dry at first due to the acid but time will mellow it, so maybe give it a few months before adjusting. Wink

Eat drink and be ZZZzzzzzz
IP Logged

steve

Harris Filters

Southampton
Reply #2 - Sep 24th, 2019 at 8:33pm

Harry - you're quite right of course , its in 4 demis at present having today been racked for the second time , they're topped up to the neck . I'm going to break with tradition and leave them for about 3 months , then P&C , and finings , and finally put them through my new VINBRITE FILTER for bottling over Christmas/New Year .Any adjustment will be sorted after filtering .
  ps - as I'm storing them for that amount of time I would have preferred to store the 4 gallons in a single volume but I only have 3 gallon and 5 gallon containers . Note to self , stick to 3 gallon brews in future as 5 gals is too heavy unless I ask Her Indoors for her muscle .
Steve

IP Logged

ohbeary
Wine Expert

Drink problem?, I fall
over, s'not a problem!

Rosudgeon, Cornwall.
Reply #3 - Sep 24th, 2019 at 10:38pm

Worry not Sir, 4x1gal works perfectly well.

I work on using two 25lt fermenters(30lt max) with taps for easy transfer, my wine is mostly juice plonk used for cooking, some drinking but mostly given away so not stored, I just enjoy making it.
There's loads of fruit about but I make a lot of jam. Wink Grin Grin

Eat drink and be ZZZzzzzzz
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print