Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Click here to order your supplies at www.darkrockbrewing.co.uk

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister Shop  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stuck fermentation help (Read 1334 times)
Karlos1

Merseyside
Stuck fermentation help
Oct 28th, 2019 at 6:19pm

I have acquired a free Northern brewer start kit with a pale Ale brew ( all in date) using the muntons yeast  . However after 6 days the bubbling stopped and now a week in the Reading is 1020 with no sign of life .
Sg was 1042 so assuming its a stuck . I have give it a stir and put next to the radiator, should i add a new yeast or some additive to get it going again?

Thanks

Work is he curse of the drinking class. (Oscar Wilde)

IP Logged

Fermenting Tom
Forum Moderator

I'll 'ave anoter glarsh
!!

Quarry Bank
Re: Stuck fermentation help
Reply #1 - Oct 28th, 2019 at 7:49pm

Karlos1,
Try shaking it vigorously to get some oxygen into yeast, refit airlock, keep away from too much heat, aim for 20%C,
check after 24 hrs for activity, taste, don't add new yeat yet otherwise could have a yeasty flavour.
If no activity after 24 hrs make a fresh yeast starter, when active add about 500 ml of "stuck" to new yeast in another vessel, after 36 hrs if still going add 1li doubling up over a few days making sure activity before adding.
Wink Wink
F.T.

Trustee/Director--Dudley C V S //  Hon. President--Parkinsons UK Dudley Branch //
Member-- Stourbridge Sons of Rest // MRAWF Wine Judge  // Member Coeliac U.K.-// Dudley Wine Circle .
WWW Fermenting Tom James T. Keys fermentingtom  
IP Logged

Karlos1

Merseyside
Reply #2 - Oct 28th, 2019 at 8:15pm

Thanks Tom ill give that a go

Karlos

IP Logged

Karlos1

Merseyside
Reply #3 - Oct 30th, 2019 at 5:52pm

No need for starter this time, a rigorous shake has done the trick and is already  down to 1016 so I'm getting to near 4% which is great.

Thanks for advice

Karlos

IP Logged

Andrew
Forum Administrator

Dudley, West Midlands
Reply #4 - Nov 1st, 2019 at 3:30pm

When fermenting under airlock, it is extremely important to stir the contents thoroughly to get oxygen in the liquid, so that when the lid and airlock are fitted, there will be sufficient to feed the yeast and stop any stuck fermentation. When not enough oxygen has been stirred into the wort at the beginning, the yeast will struggle to cope. It will be like you running up a hill with a pillow on your face.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register    
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print